04 January, 2019

Raspberry Pi and 3d printed Rain meter - Intro

I decided to try and build something using my Raspbrry Pi.

A work colleague had said he had built a weather station to 80% completion and had 3d printed the rain meter.

I then asked if he would be so kind as to print me one as well and I would build it over the December holiday. As I was busy with other things so I only started this project in the new year (2019).

This is what the 3d printed rain meter looks like:
  1. Is the main container.
  2. Is the tipping bucket
  3. Is the lid that goes on the top to guide the rain drops over the tipping bucket.
  4. Is the outlet hole (one each side)
How it works:
The lid (3) guids the rain drops into the center, which then drips into the tipping bucket (2). A very small amount of rain will make it tip, let out the water through the hole (4) and put the other side of the bucket (2) ready to catch more water. There is a small thin magnet (yellow line) attached to the tipping bucket (2), and this will activate a hall sensor attached to the raspberry pi (see Part 1 for more details)

I suspect I would have to sand the lid (item 3) down a bit to make it smooth for the raindrops. And paint it with a UV resistent paint to guard it against the African sun.

The yellow line I suspect is where the magnet will be attached once I assemble the whole thing.

The plans can be downloaded from thingivers if you want to print your own.


Part 1 - Testing the hall sensor

No comments: